{6 tips to toss, restore, organize ... }


Now I know you have probably been reading 'resolution' posts all over the blogosphere this week, but I just had to share a little something of my own. There are so many great and helpful lists and posts my fellow bloggers have put out there, especially in regards to clutter clearing. I particularly enjoyed Arianna's closet Do's & Don'ts post here, Nicole's closet re-do here and Meg's helpful tips posts here and here.


On that note, have you read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin? I read it this passed summer all in one go, and it is fantastic {a MUST read!}.


BUT I'm re-reading it now, as the book is actually divided into chapters for every month of the year. The idea is that each month, you attempt a different set of resolutions. For the first month, you attempt only January's resolutions; in February, you add the next set of resolutions to the January set, and so on.  I just finished January yesterday - which tackles physical and mental aspects of energy - and it's got me ready to GO! The topics at hand for this first month include: go to sleep earlier, exercise better, tackle a nagging task, act more energetic, and toss, restore, organize! Sounds simple enough but it's actually hard! However it's a perfect way to start the year as it will give energy to accomplish resolutions in the following months. And I love the idea of focusing on a few improvements at a time.

The one that gets me the most excited is toss, restore, organize. This is one of the MOST common resolutions, isn't it? Nothing feels better then a fresh & clean start, and household disorder can really drain our energy. Here are 6 fabulous tips I learned from The Happiness Project:



Categories include:

1. Nostalgic clutter - relics from our earlier lives that we cling to
2. Conservation clutter - things we keep because they are useful ... like those twenty-three glass florist shop vases ....
3. Freebie clutter - gifts, hand me downs, giveaways that we don't use
4. Crutch clutter - The things we use but know we shouldn't, like that comfy t-shirt with holes in it
5. Aspirational clutter - things we own but only aspire to use ... that glue gun or pair of super high heels
6. Buyers remorse clutter - rather than admit that we make a bad purchase, we hang on to something till we feel it's been 'used up' by sitting in the closet








There are too many wonderful tips in this book to share here, these are 6 that stuck with me and I wrote down in my notebook. I'll try to give a short high light of each month as I go along, but I definitely recommend grabbing a copy of your own. I'm excited to get started! I am always stunned by what a dramatic boost of mental & physical energy comes from purging, cleaning and organizing. Who knew that something so mundane could give such a rush? Will organizing be one of your resolutions this month?


0 comments:

Post a Comment