{a simple summer diy: dip-dyed baskets}

I had a bit of paint left over from the passed weeks renos in my home {coming soon!} and had been enamoured with these dip-dyed baskets ever since I first saw them on Marth Stewart's website:



I couldn't get this look outta my mind! It's as if when dipped in paint, these rustic baskets take on a modern look without losing their texture and charm. And what a simple DIY! I did not have enough paint to do this by 'dipping' my basket in a large bin, so instead I used a paint brush to apply the paint. I used painters tape to create the line at the level I wanted:

Puppy got distracted by a bird while trying to help :)

Then it's just a matter of slapping on that paint! I chose to use my leftover white paint {BM's Chantilly Lace} but I bet any color would look smashing. The toughest part is getting in all the cracks and crevasses, which would obviously fill more easily if dipped instead.


But all in all it turned out great for using tiny amounts of left over paint that would have gone to waste any ways! Don't you think it would be great to have this sitting outside filled with warm throws to wrap around you and your guests on those long summer nights on the patio??
If I would do this with a large bin, I wouldn't worry about taping off a precise line as the irregularities are kind of appealing {you'll get a bit even with the painter's tape!}. And if you have a lot of paint leftover after dipping your baskets, I think you could pour it back into its can to use for future projects.  It's such a fun and quick summer project, and all you really need is a basket, bin or paint brush, and some paint. Please let me know if you have tried this project! You can check out Martha Stewart's site for full dipping instructions.







0 comments:

Post a Comment