{i heart architectural prints}


I’ve always been drawn to architectural renderings; not only are the drawings themselves beautiful, but the buildings they showcase are as well! What I love is the traditional feel they bring to a space, and the symmetry in these etchings really appeals to me.

Since the Renaissance, architects have been regarded as artists. In 18th century England {when architecture was thought to be an essential part of a gentleman's education}, limited edition prints were considered coveted artistic collectibles.







Here are a couple of examples of these etchings used in spaces designed by Sarah Richardson {visit her source for these prints here}:




Toronto art dealer Elizabeth Legge has prints dating from the 16th century to the 1800’s. She noted the recent resurgence of interest in these pieces, as her store was commissioned to provide 224 prints to the newly decorated St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco.

These prints are something like wine, the older they get, the better they are! I actually find the subtle stains and marks on many of these renditions appealing, a sort of testament of their authenticity. Here are a couple of examples from Elizabeth Legge Fine Antique Prints and Engraving {$450-$750}:



I saved my fav space for last, here’s a room I swoon over... those mirrored frames add such a glam touch!


I found mirrored frames from Chapters to display architectural prints in my own home. I hope to own original prints one day when my art budget will allow for it! For now, inexpensive copies of originals have helped me 'get the look for less.'


0 comments:

Post a Comment