{another french chair: the borne settee}

My last post looked at the intriguing dome chair of 18th–century France, so I thought…why not stay on topic and look at another chair of France's past? I drool over the shape of this round settee, and it would definitely be high on my wishlist!

via the showrooms of Garbriella Sarlo


This piece is traditionally called a “borne,” and is often found in linen, velvet, and leather. I tried to find an explanation of the name, but couldn't find one {anyone happen to know?} The Borne actually arose during NapolĂ©on III’s period in France (mid-1800’s); yet another French influence making a come-back! Here's a photo of what the originals may have looked like:
This round settee is so perfect for an entryway. Here’s an example from designer Windsor Smith’s stunning L.A. home featured in House Beautiful:


It gives such a grand feel, and wouldn’t it be great as a spot to sit and put on your shoes?? Hey, a girl can dream! Although, maybe if I lived here I wouldn’t leave home much, it’s so pretty!


Here’s a closer look at this fabulous piece available through the Windsor Smith Home Collection, I just love the contrasting white piping and the deep tufting:


I think the Borne settee has come a long way, don't you? Hope you all have a fabulous Friday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment