{what's old is new again: design maze}

Happy Tuesday all! We are in for a treat today as my wonderful friend Tim of Design Maze is bringing a second edition of the series 'What's Old is New Again,' showing us a few recycling trends. A big thanks to Tim for visiting us today!

Hello lovely readers of Marcus Design. I am truly honoured to be Nancy's guest here today to share with you all my take on 'What's old is new again.' Fashion and Home decor trend comes and goes, and if my math serves me correctly, the cycle seems to repeat itself every 20 years or so. Ok skinny jeans have been back for quite some time now, but remember those days when skin tight jeans were IT? How about those big round glasses that the librarian used to wear in the 80s? Or the single button black tailored blazer you wore to your company's Christmas party? Did you have a pair of glossy oxford leather shoes?

Well, these fashionable staples from a decade or two ago have been refined, re-imagined, and are now back in full force! Chinos or Jeans, the key word is skinny and please "roll up the rim" to above the ankles. Like the little black dress for the ladies, a black tailored blazer is a must in the closet of urban men. For today's established young professionals, this classic one button black blazer is well-fitted, not too long (just around the hip), and it is a truly versatile garment for both dressing up or dressing down. I love to pair it with jeans for a casual, yet stylish, sophisticated look.

via Gilt

Glossy oxford shoes from an earlier decade are hip and trendy again. With a satin sheen and in limitless colors, the modernized wingtip oxfords have made their way into my wardrobe twice this time around: one in grey leather and one in cream suede. Round turtle shell glasses frames has also sneaked its way back into our lives. We are a lot more environmentally conscious this time around: faux turtle shell is what we use to make these frames, no turtles were harmed.

via Gilt

The Baseball tee has also quickly re-gained its popularity in the fashion arena.


I remembered having a few of them in my high school years and after 15 years, I still have a vintage one (yes I used to shop at vintage stores for cool tees) for White Oak Inn Grantsville, MD. Thank God I still fit it and will be rocking in it this summer.


Now for home decor, Chinoiserie has made a come back into our interiors in a whimsical and tranquil manner. Wikipediataught me that Chinoiserie "refers to a recurring theme in European artistic styles since the seventeenth century, which reflect Chinese artistic influences. It is characterized by the use of fanciful imagery of an imaginary China."

A traditional art in the past vs. a contemporary interpretation of this centuries old art form:

left: via posh surf side right: via Schumacher

I absolutely love the energy and playfulness of this pattern by Schumacher. Erin McLaughlin, the Editor-in-Chief of Style at Home, has also used this sumptuous pattern in her own bathroom as wall covering and window treatment. Elegant, serene, and romantic: this exquisite bathroom strikes an A+ in my book.



Thanks so much for having me today Nancy to share with your readers of my personal favourites on "What's old is new again". This is truly a lot of fun and I can't wait to meet you all here again soon!

XO
Tim

0 comments:

Post a Comment